Sunday, January 4, 2015

Powerful Emotions in Mortality

I can imagine being in premortality living with Heavenly Father and Mother and the whole huge family. I can imagine being so excited at the prospect of coming down to Earth and all the neat experiences we'd have. But I don't think we knew about the powerful emotions that go along with mortality. Debilitating emotions that can rob us of happiness. Powerful emotions that distract us. Controlling our bodies can be so hard when there is so many biological, emotional and spiritual things going on. The deep anguish or not getting what you want. The longing to fit in and not feel alone. Depression that can drag you down to endless misery.

But God in his mercy has given us remedies for what ails us. I don't know why, I can't explain it, but when I do my family history, I feel less lonely. When I read my scriptures regularly I begin to remember the scriptures more often during the day and it helps in times I least expect it.

It seems that every Sunday there is a different topic of things we should be doing. It can be overwhelming. We should be doing family history, food storage, sharing the gospel, visiting and home teaching, family home evening, going to the temple... the list goes on and on of the things we should be doing. But maybe I've had it wrong all these years. Instead of viewing these things as a huge list of everything I should be doing maybe I should view them as medicine to help cure what ails me. Maybe they are really meant to be a gift rather than a curse. Maybe Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness is really just that-- a recipe for Happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I love thee!

    I love that you'll have this space for your thoughts on our Savior's gospel! Jesus' power when we read the scriptures is amazing!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete